Monday, July 14, 2008

So here's the thing about

Milwaukee. It does NOT have the superfast/easy lake path that I'm used to. I got directions to the ferry from a (very certain-seeming) native and ended up taking in the gorgeous edifice of the milwaukee art museum (http://www.tommcmahon.net/2006/08/the_milwaukee_a.html) The dock for the ferry? Not so much. A pair of extremely sweet middle aged guys out for fitness rides on shiny Giant mountainbikes rode me back to the appropriate location, and I got to see part of indie Milwaukee (in Bay View I passed an anarcho-feminist book shop, a sewing collaborative/boutique, bunches and bunches of coffee spots, and midwestern hipsters galore). Melissa and I ended up crashing in a hotel. Now, after 2 hot showers, 8 pilfered mini-shampoos, half a pineapple pizza, and a lovely two-hour ferry ride during which we subjected Bee Movie to a Marxist critique, we are ready to resume The Ride.

Muskegon has amazing bike trails- kudos to their city planners- and friendly locals with tons of useful information. We're taking a trail to Hart today, and will end up working our way over to Saginaw. I do not yet hate cliff bars. Ask me again in 230-ish miles when we hit Port Huron.

No comments: