Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Necessary Step

The first question everybody asks when we tell them we're taking this trip is "why?" The second is "just the two of you?" Sometimes the third is "can I come?" Sometimes the third is "how will you guys get home?"

The answer to that last one is a little bittersweet--as you probably know, Melissa won't be returning because she's moving to Boston to start her phd at MIT. This is awesome and thrilling, and it means that I'll be coming back to Chicago on my own.

Given AA's announcement yesterday that it's going to charge for every piece of checked luggage (gah), I started thinking a bit harder about how I'll get myself and my bike back when the trip ends. Shipping the bike is the most complicated part, but I found a useful overview of my options here: http://www.adventurecycling.org/features/shippingbikecases.cfm

I can take a train for just a little more than $100 and the trip takes about a day- so now I have my answer: Amtrak.

No comments: