Monday, April 14, 2008

I have a huge crush...

...on my bicycle. I know that things are not love. I'm familiar with critiques of consumerism and fetishism and so on. But, I tell you- but.



The object of my affection is a refurbished 1984 Trek 420, courtesy of Working Bikes (1125 S Western Ave): lugged steel frame, pewter with burgundy decals. This is the best thing I've ever bought. Ever.



See above: the saddle that will carry me 1200 miles in 29 days, and the bar tape that matches it. So chic, no?


When I picked up my newly rebuilt bike today from Uptown Bikes (Broadway and Lawrence, one of the all-time great LBSs, big love to Aaron and Nora), I was giddy. Grinned the whole ride home, may have actually giggled out loud a time or two, and had real difficulty focusing on the rhetoric of Abraham Lincoln the way I was supposed to for the rest of the day.

Can't find my camera, sorry for the crummy webcam photos--when you see it in person, you'll see that it's enveloped in a glittery aura of awesomeness and it emits an ethereal hum evoking pure happiness.

xo,
meg

No comments: